Tie Dye Explosion

20120621-092453.jpg

To start the tie dye process, I look at a whole bunch of different kits and read a bunch of reviews. I ended up choosing the Tulip Super Big Kit because it came with 12 color options and I wanted variety. I also purchased Tulip Soda Ash thanks to Emily Newton’s suggestion to soak the shirts in soda ash to help keep the colors vibrant – this really worked well!!!! I bought a small package of rubber bands because I had a large package at home and latex gloves. For the table I used an old vinyl table cloth to cover the area, which worked really well and cleaned up easily! It didn’t even stain much so we will be using it again. The only other things I had to buy were a bucket to soak and rinse the shirts, I got it from Walmart for less than $5 which was awesome because no color stuck to it.

So the first thing we had to do was soak the shirts in Soda Ash for 20 mins.

20120621-093312.jpg

Once the items (shirts, fabric, shorts, socks) were done soaking, we then folded and rubber banded all the items we wanted to get the looks we wanted. Cassandra used this wonderful tutorial to do a heart tie dye shirt and Olivia used this tutorial to do a peace sign shirt.

20120621-093837.jpg

20120621-093901.jpg

Once all items were folded and rubber banded, we mixed colors. I had the job of filling the color bottles with water and everyone else carefully shook up and mixed the colors…making sure they had their fingers holding the caps on. I didn’t want splattered walls!

20120621-094144.jpg

Cal tried getting into things so he needed to be moved…

20120621-094233.jpg

Once everything was prepped, we added color and then wrapped each project in it’s own plastic bag (used the ones we get from stores) and let them sit over night. I didn’t get any pictures since I was helping CJ and had dirty hands.

The next day, I took everything outside to rinse in a bucket until the water ran clear. I made the mistake of not putting on sun screen and under estimating how long it took. I ended up with sun burn on the top of my back (thank to my tankini) from bending over rinsing out all the projects. Rookie mistake…would have loved a utility sink at this point!

20120621-094632.jpg

Once everything was rinsed, I put it all in the washer as one load with a few Shout Color Catcher Sheets. Set the washer to regular load with hot/cold was and an extra rinse cycle. Then tumbled dry and TA DA!!!!!!!!

20120621-094825.jpg

20120621-094837.jpg

20120621-094847.jpg

20120621-094858.jpg

20120621-094914.jpg

20120621-094925.jpg

20120621-094936.jpg

20120621-094946.jpg

We probably did about 20 projects and still had left over dye!!!!!! As to CJ’s request we will also be doing this again… he wants a shirt that’s red tie dye, one for Mimi and Jock, and keeps adding on others!!!!! It was a fun time and I will definitely do it again!

Advertisements

About alyshacarmody

I'm an art teacher aka working mom that has two wonderful boys, ages 4 and 9 months. My husband is a police officer who works nights; so I find that my style of parenting isn't always what others approve of, but it works for us! I am very crafty so I am always finding new projects to try and think that I am "green" or at least try to be. My philosophy is live laughing and loving. This blog is intended as an adventure so we'll see how it goes...
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s